We spend a lot of time dispelling myths about certain types of travel. One of those myths is the misperception that river cruises are staid journeys for the geriatric set, where you watch the scenery pass you by, but don't do much else.
Well, that was never really the case with river cruising--not even the most well-established Rhine and Danube itineraries. But it's even less so the case these days.
Case in point, Avalon Waterways, one of our favorite river cruise companies, is highlighting new "Active Discovery" itineraries that are truly authentic and immersive. Take a look!
See what I mean? So, just to clarify, on the Rhine tour, you could:
- Do a bike tour along the Rhine River. They supply the bikes!
- Take a running tour through Amsterdam. Train for your next 10K or half-marathon while sightseeing.
- Hike along a first-class hiking trail.
- Visit historic castles, an extinct volcano or a coal mine.
- Enjoy a culinary tour or a painting lesson.
Or on their Active Discovery Danube Itinerary, why not:
- Explore an ice cave.
- Take an archery lesson.
- Help a farmer in his apricot orchard.
- Descend into an underground salt mine.
- Take a guided climb up a mountain.
- Conduct an orchestra and compose your own waltz.
Now, does any of that sound cookie-cutter to you? Nope? Yeah, we didn't think so.
It's because of itineraries like these that we love Avalon Waterways so much. Not to mention that they've got panoramic floor-to-ceiling windows in each stateroom, which can open up to turn your entire room into a veranda. And, since their beds face the view, not the wall, you won't miss out on anything, even while you're having breakfast in bed. That is, if you're having breakfast in bed--you might rather be out cycling, hiking or going for a run.
Because of our relationship with Avalon Waterways, Huckleberry Travel can get you the best pricing, along with added amenities to make your river cruise an extra awesome vacation. Click the button to get us going! Whoo-hoo!